Friday, February 8, 2008

From Mama

I thought it was about time I got on here to talk about my magical little guy... it's still amazing to think that one week ago he was curled up inside of me still (and he FIT?!!). He is just a few hours away from his one-week birthday. Exciting news of the day: He lost his umbilical cord stump, so we get to see his little belly button for the first time. Also, his Aunt Keely and Uncle Jovan should be arriving any time from Japan to meet him, so we can't wait for that.
Here is a picture of him after his first full bath at home.

It has been amazing to begin the process of getting to know Graham. Being a mom isn't like anything else, as all of you moms know. At this point I am feeling very blessed, as it seems we have a wonderfully agreeable baby in Graham. Although he tends to get alert and fussy around 10pm to midnight, he is also allowing us 3 hour stretches of sleep regularly. In fact, so far he reminds me of his dad the most when I am trying to wake him up from a nap to eat--I can just hear him saying "But mom, it feels so good to sleep!" as he tries to pry his eyes open.

It has also been an amazing joy to watch Jonathan in this role of Dad. He is so supportive of me, and so wonderful with Graham. He calms him at night when it's fussy time, and spends lots of time talking with him when he's alert. And of course snuggle time is extra-special, too.
Sorry, I am not as good with this whole blogging format as Jonathan is, so it's not as pretty as usual! But I had to at least put a few thoughts up about this incredible time together.
Jonathan gets the pin out of his finger and his large splint off today, and we're so excited for him to be able to hold Graham more easily, without "The Claw" as we call it. This also means he can now help by changing diapers. We have certainly gone through a few of those in the last couple of days...

Well, it's time to feed Graham before my sister arrives. Love to you all, Kate

1 comments:

Kyle & Crystal said...

Congratulations Shaw family! I am so happy for you guys. Glad to see things are going well. Jon, glad to hear they didn't have to amputate. Which one of the five D's did you forget: Duck, dodge, dive, dip, or...dodge?

Take care, and tell your sister hi from me, Kate.

Kyle

oh yeah, we have tons of pics here if you want to see what we have been up to: http://www.pbase.com/littlekc